Welcome to the team
Terms and Conditions - Code of Conduct
Anybody calling and seeking the services of one of our Chimney Sweeps can be assured that the Chimney Sweep in question meets or indeed exceeds our minimum standard. All our sweeps are expected to offer advice on many issues concerning the safe operation of all solid fuel burners. He or She will advise where required on ventilation requirements, integrity of flue and any termination cowling. In obvious terms, solid fuel burning can be extremely dangerous if faults are present then it is the sweeps duty to spot potential dangers and help keep the consumer from harms way. Flues without a strong up draft after sweeping will be smoke tested where possible. Every Chimney Sweep Academy sweep will be able to prove their position through membership to the aforementioned association. If for any reason the consumer is not happy with the given standard of their chosen Academy sweep, they have a central point of complaint.
Consumers using an Academy sweep have a reliable, trustworthy and knowledgeable means of having the periodic cleaning and inspection of their solid fuel burner/fireplace and flue leading through to correct type of cowling. All Chimney Sweep Academy sweeps will use the appropriate national standard certificate of completion. Where necessary, the sweep will issue a certificate concerning a dangerous appliance, an explanation of fault/s will also be issued and recorded.
The Chimney Sweep Academy National Standard consists of the following:
Training, practical assessment, theory assessment, Academy accreditation of training, sweeping practices and method, minimum tool kit including cleanliness of vehicle, safe working practices, prevention or limitation of contamination during sweeping, use of carbon monoxide detectors, building regulations and compliance issues, documentation and recording of works carried out, use of documentation including the reporting of unsafe an/or non-compliant situations, customer complaint procedures, waste disposal procedures, compliance with COSHH, proof of identity, PPE requirements and use, minimum insurance criteria.
If required, due to none compliance, Academy members will be required to undergo further training or risk removal from the Academy.
It must be stressed that Individual Chimney Sweeps who may not members of the Chimney Sweep Academy may sometimes meet the Industry Standard.
By Joining the Chimney Sweep Academy you are giving consent for us to store you details and contact you by any means. If this is not possible then membership is not allowed.
After successful training, you have a maximum of 3 months to gather tools and order certificates, failure to do so will require total retraining on another training course at your own expense.
Code of conduct.
1. Vehicle used for work must carry the Academy logo.
2. All Chimney Sweep Academy approved sweeps will carry evidence of adequate and current insurance cover to a minimum of £2.500.000.
3. Before entering premises a visual inspection will be made of the chimney stack/pipe and any caps or cowls as part of the risk assessment. The Chimney sweep will make a judgement as to the safety of sweeping the aforementioned so as to limit the chances of breakages and/or falls from height.
4. All sweeps will use adequate ground sheets and fire fronts to limit any chances of soiling to premises.
5. Any trailing wires, for example, from vacuum to mains socket will be shown to customer as part of a risk assessment to limit chances of trips and falls.
6. The point of contact at the given premises will be asked if there is any ongoing problems with the appliance/fireplace before commencing sweeping.
7. All Chimney Academy Sweeps inform the customer where necessary, the hazards of burning fires and the dangers to health/life where faulty appliances or fireplaces are used.
8. All Chimney Sweeps will use a suitably sized brush with bristles/nylons in good condition with appropriate sized rods to clean the flue way. A sufficiently filtered vacuum with (HEPA) filtration to be used at all times. Any faults found during the cleaning process will be reported to the home-owner/tenant,landlord. All flue ways will be deemed cleared of any obstructions by suitable draft and smoke testing.
9. Any flue that is deemed unable to be swept will result in verbal explanation and a notice sticker placed on the given appliance as out of order. Reason/s for this will be recorded on the job record/certification sheets.
10. Every effort shall be made to extract all soot deposits from the premises without soiling any surfaces. It must be stated here that the customer should also take sensible precautions to the protection of soiling to interior surfaces.
11. All observations of flue condition will be passed on the customer, any negative observations will be recorded in the job completion certificate, with a copy given to the customer.
12, Members must conduct themselves in a professional standard, in all cases of mail and social media, the Academy name or its members must not be taken in disrepute. If such action should take place then your membership may be revoked without warning. Always consult Academy admin first for any help.
13, Academy members are now requested to take part in an online Asbestos awareness course, this is a requirement and evidence may be needed for Academy records.
In order to protect their health, all Sweeps will carry respiratory protection, protective overall, protective gloves, site helmet and eye protection. The sweep must take all steps possible to limit airborne particles within his/her vehicle. A van with bulkhead is ideal but in other cases all soot, sheets and brushes must be bagged or kept within a sealed container for your their protection.
After a chimney has been swept, the Chimney Sweep shall issue a Chimney Sweep Academy Certificate to the householder or property owner stating that a chimney has been swept in accordance with the Code of Practice issued by the Chimney Sweep Academy. A date for subsequent re-sweeping should be recommended. Any known defects will be recorded on the job completion certificate.
By being a Chimney Sweep Academy approved chimney sweep, you are bound by these terms and conditions. You agree and will follow all the above. You are fully responsible to for adequate insurance during your membership. Failure to comply may lead to suspension of membership.
Minimum working requirement and tools list for Academy members.
You must be working from a van of any size, preferably with a steel bulkhead for safety. This vehicle must display the Academy logo’s as supplied by us.
If working from a van without bulkhead or even a car or MPV etc., paying very careful attention to the retention of dust particles from used ground and fire front sheets. These should be kept in separate containers.
Academy member vehicles should have the appropriate Academy sticker displayed.
ID badge and Academy certified job sheets.
Adequate selection of sweeping rods, these vary by manufacturer but allow for flues from 4” up to full size Inglenooks
Adequate selection of brush sizes for differing flue sizes, power sweeping requires fewer brush head sizes.
Suitable industrial vacuum with adequate filtration, HEPA is the general standard but it is recommended to have extra filtration added. It is not recommended to use a “Henry” type vacuum as filtration is very poor and also readily available to purchase by normal households can look unprofessional. Bigger does not mean better, consider the weight of the vacuum for handling purposes both empty and laden with soot.
Suitable face mask worn during sweeping duties.
Small powder type fire extinguisher available in your vehicle.
Recommended minimum tool list.
Various ground sheets/floor covering
Various fire front cloths
Sponges for sealing (optional)
Assorted spring clamps
Dustpan and brush
Soft and hard hand brushes
Small socket set
Allen key set
Scissors/Stanley type knife
CCTV unit (recommended)
First Aid kit
*This list is not exhaustive.
Membership runs from December 1st of Each year until the following December.
By joining the Academy you are confirming you will follow and adhere to the above conditions.